Joshua Margolin is a seasoned litigator with experience in a wide array of complex commercial and financial disputes.
Named a “Rising Star” by New York Metro Super Lawyers, Joshua has litigated, arbitrated and mediated matters involving complex financial products, securities fraud, corporate governance, mergers, natural resources, real estate, insurance, contracts and employment. He has successfully argued before trial and appellate courts, and has extensive experience achieving favorable results through mediation.
- AIG v Bank of America, N.A.: Represented AIG in multi-billion dollar claims against Wall Street sponsors of residential mortgage-backed securities, achieving public settlement of Bank of America suit for $650 million and successful confidential resolutions of additional claims.
- Alix v. McKinsey & Co.: Representing McKinsey & Co., a worldwide management consulting firm, against claims by Jay Alix, founder of consulting firm AlixPartners, and Mar-Bow Partners, a company founded by Jay Alix, challenging McKinsey’s Chapter 11 disclosures under Rule 2014.
- Davis v. Scottish Re: Represented MassMutual in corporate governance suit arising out of its investment in Scottish Re, twice achieving dismissal of all claims with both rulings successfully upheld on appeal.
- U.S. Bank v. Merrill Lynch Mortgage Lending Inc.: Representing U.S. Bank as trustee and investors in seeking recovery for Merrill Lynch’s breaches of representations and warranties.
- ResCap bankruptcy litigation: Represented Rescap bankruptcy trust in suits against dozens of loan originators for indemnity and breaches of contract, achieving settlements to date of $590 million.
- Ambac Military Housing Litigation: Represented Ambac in seven lawsuits pending across the country arising from Ambac’s provision of financial guaranty insurance to various military housing projects.
Recognized as an industry thought leader, Joshua is frequently called upon to provide legal commentary on emerging issues and key legal decisions for the Wall Street Journal, Reorg, Bloomberg and other financial publications.
Joshua also maintains an active public interest practice, where he represents clean energy advocacy group Vote Solar before the State of Utah Public Service Commission to determine the value of solar energy in the state’s net metering program, as well as a coalition of groups, including the League of Women Voters of the United States, in a lawsuit urging a federal court to change New York State’s flawed absentee ballot verification requirements in time for the 2020 General Election.
He also serves on the New York City Bar Association's Lawyer Assistance Program, which provides resources and support to members of the legal community who are struggling with mental health issues.
Joshua earned his J.D. from New York University School of Law, where he was on the Dean’s List. He clerked for Chancellor William B. Chandler and Vice-Chancellor John W. Noble of the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- New York University School of Law
- Tufts University
(B.A., International Relations, 2001)
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
Of Counsel, 2015-2018
Weil Gotshal & Manges
Law Clerk to Chancellor William B. Chandler and Vice-Chancellor John W. Noble
Delaware Court of Chancery, 2004-2005
- State Bar of New York
- United States District Court: Southern District of New York