Maria Ginzburg is an experienced litigator who focuses on complex commercial and financial disputes. She has recovered nearly $3 billion for her clients in residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS)-related actions.
Maria also represents clients in connection with CLOs, CDOs, swaps and other structured products. She has successfully litigated cases involving fraudulent conveyance, insider trading, accounting and tax practices, short selling, Ponzi schemes, suitability disputes, whistleblower actions, corporate governance, and employment matters. Maria also handles internal investigations and represents corporate boards and special committees.
Lawdragon lists Maria among the “500 Leading Lawyers in America” and the nation’s “Leading Plaintiff Financial Lawyers.” She is also recognized as one of New York's "Super Lawyers" in business litigation.
- The We Company: Representing an independent special committee and its directors formed to review WeWork’s lawsuit against Softbank and Vision Fund seeking completion of a $3 billion tender offer.
- Alix v. McKinsey & Co.: Representing McKinsey & Co., a worldwide management consulting firm, against claims by Jay Alix, founder of consulting firm AlixPartners, and Mar-Bow Partners, a company founded by Jay Alix, challenging McKinsey’s Chapter 11 disclosures under Rule 2014.
- Bank of New York Mellon v. CART1 Ltd et al.: Representing CRC Credit Fund Ltd. against Deutsche Bank AG Frankfurt in a federal interpleader action asserted by Bank of New York Mellon in the Southern District of New York arising from Deutsche Bank’s inclusion of ineligible collateral in a synthetic CLO. The court ruled as a matter of law for CRC on the motion to dismiss.
- U.S. Bank v. Merrill Lynch Mortgage Lending Inc.: Representing U.S. Bank as trustee in seeking recovery for Merrill Lynch’s breaches of representations and warranties.
- AIG v. RMBS Issuers: Represented AIG in claims against Wall Street sponsors of RMBS, achieving over $2 billion in recoveries.
- ResCap bankruptcy litigation: Represented the ResCap bankruptcy trust in suits against dozens of loan originators for indemnity and breaches of contract, achieving settlements of $590 million.
- In re Capmark Financial Group Inc.: Represented an ad hoc committee of secured creditors in defending a successful challenge to the estate’s settlement of claims based on intra-creditor fraudulent transfer allegations.
- Accounting investigation: Represented a Fortune 50 company in a company-wide SEC investigation focused on issues of accounting and earnings management.
In her public interest practice, Maria currently represents a proposed class of student loan borrowers against Navient Corp., one of the nation’s largest student loan servicers, that has made a myriad of misrepresentations to steer public servants away from federal loan forgiveness plans for which they qualify. She has also represented a foundation that benefits elementary schools in uncovering a Ponzi scheme run as a hedge fund; the principal was arrested, his assets were seized, and he is now serving jail time. She counseled a prominent private school and synagogue in assessing its investments in a Madoff feeder fund. Maria has investigated and revamped corporate governance structures at both non-profits and public companies.
Affiliations & Community Involvement
Maria earned her J.D. with honors from Stanford University in 1996, where she was an editor of the Stanford Law Review and a founding member of the Stanford Journal of Law, Business & Finance. She serves on the board of the Ronald McDonald House of New York.
- Stanford Law School
With honors, Stanford Law Review; Stanford Journal of Law, Business & Finance: Founding Member
- Harvard University
(A.B., Government, 1992)
Magna cum laude
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
Kirkland & Ellis
Cravath, Swaine & Moore
Law Clerk to the Honorable Ralph K. Winter
United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit 1996-1997
- State Bar of New York
- United States Courts of Appeals: Second Circuit
- United States District Courts: Southern District of New York, Eastern District of New York, Eastern District of Michigan