Sean Baldwin is an accomplished trial lawyer with particular expertise trying cases in New York courts, the Delaware Court of Chancery, and commercial arbitrations.
Sean has litigated and arbitrated matters involving complex financial products, securities, insurance, antitrust, and trademark licensing disputes. His clients include Fortune 500 life insurance companies, monoline insurers, hedge funds, investment companies, and casino developers and operators.
Sean has been recognized for his groundbreaking success in securities litigation and recoveries. He was recognized by The American Lawyer as a “Litigator of The Week” in 2018. In 2019, he was named a “Trailblazer in Plaintiff Litigation” by The National Law Journal, and a “Leading Lawyer in Plaintiff Securities Litigation” by The Legal 500.
- MASTR Adjustable Rate Mortgages Trust 2006-OA2 et al v. UBS: In a one-month trial in the Southern District of New York, successfully represented plaintiff trustee in breach-of-warranty suit regarding three residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS) trusts. See "UBS Handed Setback in $2 Billion Mortgage Buy-Back Lawsuit," Bloomberg, 9/6/2016.
- Vertin v. Quadrant: In a one-week trial in Delaware Court of Chancery, successfully represented defendants against allegations of breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract and fraudulent transfer. See Am Law Litigation Daily, 10/21/2015 (“’Bet the company’ litigation is a phrase we legal journalists like to use, but it’s not often literally true. The stakes were actually that high, though, in a suit against Athilon Capital Corp. and its board of directors in Delaware Chancery Court.”); "Del. High Court Affirms Athilon Win In Note Buyback Suit," Law360, 11/1/2016.
- U.S. Bank, N.A, et al. v. GreenPoint Mortgage Funding: In New York Supreme Court, Commercial Division, represented plaintiff in obtaining $540 million settlement in breach-of-warranty suit over a defective RMBS trust.
- Margaritaville v. Bossier Casino: In a ten-day arbitration before three retired Delaware judges, represented casino developer and operator in defeating claim for $200 million in trademark license fees and obtaining ruling that client could use trademark without further payments during the license term.
- CIFG Assurance v. Goldman Sachs: In a ten-day arbitration before FINRA, represented plaintiff insurance company in obtaining ruling defendant Goldman Sachs committed fraud in connection with a collateralized debt obligation and awarding substantial damages.
Sean earned law degrees, with honors, from the University of Canterbury and Oxford University. He is the co-editor of a securities law handbook for Law Business Research.
- Oxford University, Lincoln College
- University of Canterbury
Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan
Cravath, Swaine & Moore
Russell McVeagh McKenzie Bartleet & Co.
Associate, 1989; 1991-1992
- State Bar of New York
- United States Court of Appeals: Second Circuit
- United States District Court: Southern District of New York