Rajat Rana regularly advises individuals, multinational companies, and sovereign clients in resolving high-stakes, cutting-edge cases, with a track record of delivering successful resolutions before leading arbitral institutions worldwide, as well as federal and state courts in the United States. Rajat is called upon to implement effective pre-litigation and pre-arbitration strategies and to then pursue aggressive defense in some of their most serious and sensitive matters. He also advises individuals and companies in commercial and investment treaty disputes around the world, including in matters with ICSID and its Additional Facility.
As a first generation Indian American, Rajat has also earned a reputation as a trusted legal advisor for Indian multinational companies and ultra-high net worth individuals involved in international disputes, solidifying his prominent position within the global Indian legal industry. In addition, Rajat has a particular interest in the clean energy sector, in particular, lithium and other rare-earth minerals, as well as manufacturers, retailers, and suppliers of electric batteries and vehicles.
Rajat is known for his hands-on approach, responsiveness, and practical advice. His tireless dedication is evident in his relentless work ethic making him the most curious and best-prepared attorney in his field. Clients appreciate Rajat’s commitment to understanding their goals and objectives, valuing his forthright advice that guides them towards successful outcomes. Rajat is consistently recognized as a future leader by Who’s Who Legal, and he is also the Leadership Council for Legal Diversity (LCLD) Fellow for 2023. Rajat was also named “One to Watch” by Best Lawyers.
Rajat earned a master’s degree from Stanford Law School following his graduation from National Law School in Bangalore. Rajat then earned a JD from University of Virginia School of Law. His diverse legal experiences include clerking for a Supreme Court Justice in India and working for the U.N. International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda.
- Obtained a $126 million Partial Final Award for a Brazilian company in a highway construction dispute against a state-owned company in Trinidad & Tobago.
- Represented the Republic of Malta in its first ever ICSID arbitration commenced by a Chinese investor in relation to a Maltese bank under the China-Malta Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Represented foreign investors in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Azerbaijan pertaining to a joint venture with SOCAR, the state-owned oil company, under the Energy Charter Treaty.
- Represented Middle Eastern investors in parallel investment and commercial arbitrations challenging an African government’s termination of a railway concession.
- Represented foreign investors in an international arbitration against East African states under a contract under public international law.
- Represented Middle Eastern investors in an international arbitration against the Republic of Algeria involving cement plants under the Algeria-Egypt Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Represented a foreign investor in an ICSID Additional Facility arbitration against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela.
- Represented a German investor in an ICSID arbitration against the Republic of Croatia.
- Represented multiple creditors in enforcement proceedings against the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela and PDVSA in federal courts.
- Represented a Chinese State-owned company in matters pertaining to an infrastructure investment in Southern Africa.
- Represented a multinational oil and gas company against the Republic of Croatia in an arbitration brought at the ICSID under the Energy Charter Treaty, as well as a related arbitration brought by Croatia under the UNCITRAL Arbitration Rules.
- Represented a Chinese company in a commercial arbitration under the ICC rules.
- Represented a large Indian textile company in an investor state arbitration dispute against the Republic of Uzbekistan under the Dutch-India Bilateral Investment Treaty.
- Represented an Asian real estate company in a $1.4 billion arbitration dispute in the U.S., achieving a favorable settlement.
- Represented a Russian investor in an arbitration involving the expropriation of a bank that was driven into bankruptcy by the Lithuanian state.
- Represented monoline bond insurer MBIA Insurance Corporation against Bank of America, Countrywide Financial Corporation, Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., and various subsidiaries and affiliates in an action arising out of fraudulent misrepresentations and breaches of contract in connection with residential mortgage back securitizations.
- Represented Mauritius companies in a contract dispute involving a wrongful termination of a railway concession in Kenya and Uganda.
- Represented a major cement company, as respondent in ICC arbitration that awarded claimant zero and awarded millions of dollars to respondent based on a counterclaim.
Affiliations & Community Involvement
Rajat is one of the Founder’s Circle members of Indiaspora, a network of global Indian origin leaders of diverse backgrounds. Rajat is also on the NY Tri-State Board of the American Indian Foundation.